Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Good Fight by Matthew Horn

Book Look by Carol McClain

The story unfolds on the gritty streets of real-life Chicago. It centers on Jeffery Scott, a young boy in the wrong place at the wrong time, saved by a masked vigilante's intervention. After learning his hero's true identity many years later, Jeffery gets the chance to return the favor. Unfortunately, Jeffery soon learns his hero is not quite the noble Good Samaritan he envisioned. Jeffery is ultimately required to risk everything he cares for in his life, love and future to become a hero himself in stopping his now mentor vigilante hero, from doing the unthinkable.

 
What inspired you to write The Good Fight? 
 In 2009 I was reading a fantasy novel by Terry Brooks.  It was the first book in a long series of his, and I remember thinking to myself that I could try to describe things the way he had.  It was my first real inspiration.  I followed it up by writing a 600 page epic fantasy novel over the next three months.  Of course I had no idea what I was doing and it will need a lot of work to ever get published, but it was a great experience. 

Is there one character that intrigues you more than any other? Why? 
 Jim is a character that I hope readers spend a lot of time with.  Is he bad, is he good, what are his motivations, and does the end justify the means? 
            When I originally came up with the idea for The Good Fight I had intended it to be a story of an older hero passing on his skills to the next generation.  I suppose it still sort of ends up that way, but my wife encouraged me to add conflict at certain places and it ended up changing Jim completely.  That is always the first question I ask people who’ve read it, what did you think of Jim?

What do you hope your readers gain from this work? 
 I hope that readers walk away from this book with a renewed hope and a fresh strength to face their daily challenges.  God will never give us anything we cannot handle and I hope that The Good Fight can reinforce that for them.

What would you say the main theme is?  
The Good Fight intends to get people to see how hard it can be to make the right decision all of the time.  We all fight this fight on a daily basis and Jeff goes through the same struggles discovering that there is really only one answer.  I hope readers come to the same conclusion.

Is there anything else you’d like to add? 
  I would like to add that writing this book has been a great achievement.  Even better has been getting a publisher and selling a lot of books.  If you are an aspiring author I would encourage you to get involved with other writers and ask as many questions as you can.  I have found that there are always people willing to help you out. 
           
 I would also like to thank Pentalk for agreeing to this interview and mention that you can find me at www.matthewrhorn.com. 
 
 
M
atthew Horn is an aficionado of fiction. Spending his life reading authors such as Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, and C.S. Lewis, Matthew gained an appreciation for a good story. His first book, Heroism, written in 2009, is the compilation of ideas that have been building since childhood. Since then, he has developed many different stories and plans to continue his writing as more than just a hobby.
Matthew graduated from Rochester High School in 1998 and from Purdue University’s Krannert School of Management in 2002. He is currently the Chief Financial Officer for Modern Materials, Inc. in Rochester Indiana. He is married and enjoys spending his free time writing and learning about the publishing industry.
Check out my new book, The Good Fight, online: www.matthewrhorn.com
Post a Comment