Monday, October 3, 2011

Writer's Conferences

Whew! I've been back from the 2011 American Christian Fiction Writer's Conference for over a week now and I'm STILL playing catch up! Mostly on sleep ;).

We'll do more in-depth posts in the weeks and months to come, but for now...

This was my first conference devoted solely to fiction writing [and my second conference overall]. I can easily see why this is THE conference of the year for those writing inspirational fiction. From dozens of editors, agents and mentors in attendance to hundreds of other writers, if you want to make connections this was the place to be.

In fact, out of the two [and a half] full days of classes, I think I attended maybe half of those*. The rest of the time I was talking with multi-published, multi-award winning authors, first or second book authors, contracted but not yet pubbed authors, aspiring authors, conference vets and newbies alike. Add in scheduled appointments and God-appointments and my dance card was full!

Among the MANY other people I met was Pentalk's very own founder, Linda Rondeau, and our book spotlight guru, Carol McClain! Linda and I, along with 7 other lucky ducks, even got to have Friday lunch with Sue Brower, editor extraordinaire from Zondervan! Lunch on Saturday? I was blessed to sit at a table with author, editor and agent Karen Ball!

For me, the results include a couple of proposal requests and LOTS of connections with amazing people. The connections alone were worth the price of admission!

So... what about you? What's your favorite conference to attend? Why do you attend conferences? Or why don't you?

Oh... and the bookstore?! Extremely well-run for a store that exists 4-5 days a year! Great deals, lots of books, friendly staff, and flat rate shipping boxes for those who didn't want to go over their weight limit on the plane ride home ;).

*I'll be ordering the conference CDs so I can listen to the mp3s. You CAN'T absorb it all! Even if you tried!

Carol Moncado is a member of ACFW, and last fall joined the steering committee for Pentalk Community and became the Editor-in-Chief of the Pentalk Community Blog. She is a founding member and current facilitator for the MozArks ACFW group. Her first publishing credit is an essay to be released in a Christmas anthology in December 2012 (Hidden Brook Press).
Post a Comment